Martin Wallace and Treefrog Games present Ankh-Morpork, set in the largest city-state in Terry Pratchett’s Discworld. Lord Vetinari has disappeared and different factions are trying to take control of the city. Each player has a secret personality with specific victory conditions, which means that you’re not sure exactly what the other players need to do in order to win.
Discworld: Ankh-Morpork is a great purchase for any Terry Pratchett fan, allowing them to engage in this fantasy world, with all it’s humour, quirks and characters beautifully incorporated.
The game is best played with 3 or 4 players, and involves a lot of deception, guessing and accusing of fellow players in an effort to try meet your specific win condition whilst blocking them. Different objectives include trying to control a number of districts on the board, collect as much money as possible, or simply keep the game going without anyone else winning until the last Game Card is turned.
The game balances strategy and luck well enough, through planned use of Game Cards, dice rolling and Random Event Cards. All the cards are beautifully illustrated and feel true to the Discworld books, often including key characters from Rincewind to Death, with the Luggage thrown in for good measure.
A typical game takes about an hour once you’ve got the hang of it. For those that would like to try something outside of mainstream games, this is a great alternative to Monopoly or Risk, with a lot more person to person interaction.
Repeat Play Score: 3/5
Gateway Score: 4/5
Thematic Score: 5/5
Component Score: 5/5
The set shown here is the ‘Deluxe Edition’ set: The following are included in the box:
- Full-color rules
- 4 player aid cards
- 1 standard blue twelve-sided die
- The number “8” face is replaced with the number “7a” in the Collector’s and Deluxe Editions
- 1 full-color game board map of Ankh-Morpork
- 22.5″ x 17″ (570 mm x 430 mm) in the Standard Edition
- 25.5″ x 22″ (645 mm x 560 mm) in Collector’s and Deluxe Editions
- 132 cards (card size 59 mm x 92 mm)
- 101 Game cards
- 48 Green Bordered Game Cards
- 53 Brown Bordered Game Cards
- 12 Random Event Cards
- 12 City Area Cards
- 7 Personality Cards
- 101 Game cards
- 91 playing pieces
- Red, yellow, green and blue painted wooden pieced in the Standard and Collector’s Editions
- Red, orange, green and white resin pieces in Deluxe Edition
- 48 Minions (12 per player color)
- 24 Buildings (6 per player color)
- 4 Demon markers
- 3 Troll markers
- 12 Trouble markers
- 52 Coins
- Cardboard coins in the Standard Edition
- Wooden coins in the Collector’s and Deluxe Editions
- 17 Gold $5 Coins
- 35 Silver $1 Coins
- A giant poster with all characters and the box art (included for the Collector’s and Deluxe Editions)